[Python-apps-team] Fwd: Spe's Debian packaging feedback

SPE Stani's Python Editor spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:13:46 UTC 2007

I forgot to "reply all".
Stani

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stani's Python Editor <spe.stani.be at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 27, 2007 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Python-apps-team] Spe's Debian packaging feedback
To: Stefano Canepa <sc at linux.it>

Stefano Canepa schreef:

> 2007/11/27, Bernd Zeimetz :
>> Best thing would be if the setup.py would work on every platform, htat's
>> what distutils was made for. Not a big problem to add
>> platform/architecture specific details, though.
>
> It's a python script. ;-) I can see if I can see what to do.
> This is offtopic here becouse it's a Windows problem. I'll see if
> there is a way to download packages from the net on Windows or build a
> setup with conditions.
Don't worry I'll try to merge it. The difficulty I had with spe on linux
for setup.py was that the directory structure wasn't really organized
for that. For example python source code is mixed with images and docs.
For Phatch I realized this and setup it hopefully right from the start.
I am curious how you solved that in your setup.py If there are any
issues I'll report back.

> I think that including others work even if this is the what Windows
> users aspect is not correct as you can include old version or loose
> time keeping your code in sync.
This is partially true. A newer version of winpdb might not necessarily
work with spe. Linux can specify rules to force a certain version, on
windows this gets more difficult. For now I prefer to improve things on
the linux/debian side. If some of you are really interested in windows
packaging, we can always tackle that later.

Thanks for all your work!

Stani

--
http://pythonide.stani.be