[Python-apps-team] Packaging When I'm the "Upstream"

Chris Wagner chris.t.wagner.1 at ohiou.edu
Thu Oct 25 17:59:28 UTC 2007

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for my slow re-reply.

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 20:10 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Please don't put the debian directory in your tarball. It is much more
> easy to handle a package if the debian directory is only shipped in the
> ..diff.gz, as you don;t have to mess with 'your' source if there's
> something to change when you're not available (think on a security bug
> detected while you're on vacation). Much more easy to add a proper
> proper patch in such cases if you don't have to upload the full tar.gz,
> but only a new diff.gz.

I wasn't suggesting I put the debian directory in my tarball; I was only
considering keeping the directory in my main Subversion repository,
along-side my other, "upstream source".  Are you saying, I should place
my Debian-specific stuff in the repository for the
python-apps-team?  ...So others can, e.g., apply security patches in my
absence?

> If you work on a python related application, you could join the PAPT[1],
> also visiting us in #debian-python on the OFTC network is a good way to
> get questions answered fast or to find a sponsor for your package.

Do I not need to be a Debian maintainer to join?

Thanks for the help!