[Python-apps-team] update on bug 680685

David Bremner bremner at debian.org
Sun Jul 29 19:39:08 UTC 2012

In message

<CA+Y+444v1j7r9WwrqGy9qdgwA_Z_e87HzT5mBqNVedi5gDyVoA at mail.gmail.com>

Noah turned over responsibility for package "planet-venus" to the python
applications team. So, let's discuss.

I have proposed that planet-venus rename it's copy of
/usr/bin/planet. Of course, I would say that. So, a hopefully impartial
review of the pro's and con's of this suggestion:

Pro's

1) planet-venus is pretty clearly in the wrong here, since the
   /usr/bin/racket was already present in debian before that package was
   added. The presence of a conflict with drscheme and plt-scheme is
   more or less a confession that somebody should have known better. ;)

2) The popcon ranking of planet-venus is relatively lower than racket
   (approx 50 versus 250).

Con's

1) Apparently "planet" from planet-venus is often run in cron, so
   the renaming would likely cause some disruption.

I'm not sure yet how much disruption renaming /usr/bin/planet would
cause for racket users; I'll have to consult the racket mailing list.

David.