[Python-apps-team] Maintain package with Git?

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Thu Nov 15 17:04:53 UTC 2012

W. Martin Borgert:
> Quoting "Jakub Wilk" <jwilk at debian.org>:
> > No. We use Subversion.
>
> Opion from another unimportant team member:
>
> We currently use SVN and I really appreciate that we use only
> one version control system for all packages of the team. I
> would, however, accept a general change from Subversion to
> git, maybe in the timeframe from wheezy release to jessie
> freeze, if there is a rough consensus about it.

Nice to hear that there's hope... :-) It's funny how you all call yourself
"unimportant team member". What defines an important team member? But I don't
want to discuss this.

In Debian-Java we're very slowly migrating from SVN to Git. There's no
consensus on an official timeframe or even the goal to have everything in Git.
If somebody makes an upload and nobody involved with the package disagrees,
the VCS can be switched.

I don't observe any disadvantage in this workflow.

Moving all packages at once might be complicate. This might also involve new
uploads for all packages to switch the VCS-* fields?

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro