[Python-apps-team] [New project iiu] source review/ advice

Joel M. joelmontes01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:47:45 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I started a new project on Launchpad.net called *iiu* (project page:
https://launchpad.net/iiu).

*iiu* (Is It Up?) is a command line tool to aid system administrators when
deploying or maintaining web servers. *iiu* is used to check if a web
server is available outside of your own network. It accomplishes this by
using the freely available isitup.org API. *iiu*'s output is customizable
making it simple to incorporate it into a script. It's also useful for
users who are not running X server and would like to check a site's status.

I'm completely new to packaging and would like for someone to take a look
at my current source files and give me pointers as to what I may be missing
to comply with Debian's packing policy.

I'm currently reading
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ but it's quite a
lot to adsorb. I'm also watching How to build a simple Debian package
(*.Deb) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhoRyd2CEVs> on YouTube but it
seems too simple (important details being left out).

Thanks for any help,

JM

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhoRyd2CEVs>