[Python-apps-team] pkpgcounter debian package

Kumar Appaiah akumar at debian.org
Fri Feb 8 03:22:36 GMT 2019

Dear Michael,

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 02:37:55PM -0600, Michael Pardee wrote:
>    Hello,
>    I help support a few thousand machines that rely on the pkpgcounter
>    package and noticed that it is no longer packaged in debian
>    testing/unstable.  Is this something that I could help with or take over?
>    I see from the tracker it is maybe due to the dependency on
>    python-imaging.  For now I've been able to install old versions of
>    python-imaging and pkpgcounter, but I guess some work might be needed to
>    make pkpkgcounter work with python-pil .   I've started to look into the
>    debian maintainer process but if you point me to some sort of checklist on
>    how to proceed that would be very helpful.

I believe that this has to do with the fact that Debian has moved to
the PIL fork.

What I would be able to do for you is this:

- If you are able to make minor modifications to pkpgcounter to work
  with PIL, then I can make an upload of pkpgcounter with the updated
  dependencies to Debian. I will prepare the package for you, no problem.

- If you are unable to make the modification in time for the freeze, I
  can still make acustom package for your users. This is the less
  preferable option.

I can also help you become a Debian maintainer, if needed. Happy to be
of help.

Thanks.

Kumar
--