PEP 3143 and customizations

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jan 28 06:02:04 UTC 2013

On 04-Dec-2012, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Thanks for the working on the daemonizing problem.

Thank you for summarising your thoughts here.

> Please CC me in reply, because I am not subscribed to the list.

I would encourage you (and anyone interested in the ongoing discussion) to
subscribe to the discussion forum, in order not to get the discussion
fragmented by accident.

> I figured that the interface suggested makes it very hard (or impossible)
> to customize the process beyond the explicitly mentioned objects (such as
> chroot_directory).
[…]
> A library has to limit itself to common cases, so I can understand that
> the daemon module does not cover this case. Unfortunately there is no way
> (beyond monkey patching) to extend the library in this way as a user.

The ‘DaemonContext’ class is designed to allow overriding behaviour through
subclassing and the ‘super()’ mechanism, so I'm not sure what you would
need monkey-patching for. Can you give a concrete example which can't be
addressed by a custom ‘DaemonContext’ subclass?

--
 \      “The process by which banks create money is so simple that the |
  `\     mind is repelled.” —John Kenneth Galbraith, _Money: Whence It |