python-daemon support for python 3

Aaron Maxwell amax at redsymbol.net
Mon Jan 28 17:28:44 UTC 2013

Hi Pavel, (and hey Ben),

In addition to the contributions Ben mentions, I made a fork of 1.5.5 that was
ported to 3.2, taking a "don't look back" approach.  I.e., this doesn't
support Python 2 at all.  You can grab it (and its ported dependency,
lockfile) here:

https://github.com/redsymbol/python-daemon-1.5.5-py3k
https://github.com/redsymbol/lockfile-0.9.1-py3k

I haven't had any problems with this in production code for over 6 months now,
so I'm calling it stable :)

That said, I'm wondering Ben if you can clarify how people can contribute now
for Python 3 support. What kind of pull requests would you like to receive,
exactly?

While what I did was perhaps valuable as a reference point, demonstrating that
it can work on python 3, have you found it easy to integrate in the code base?
Maybe a better approach would be to make changes to your master source that
would allow a simple invokation of 2to3 to produce the complete, fully-
functional Python3 version. That would allow you to have one code base that
easily supports Python 2 and 3.  (If that runs into difficulty, the "six"
compatibility module might be helpful.)

Thanks,
Aaron

--