License terms for ‘python-daemon’ code (was: Python3 implementation)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 1 00:05:15 UTC 2014

On 31-Jul-2014, stephan schultchen wrote:

> > Your work is clearly based on the ‘python-daemon’ code, and that's
> > good. But I am finding it difficult to follow:
> >
> well, i tried to only stick to the pep, and not to do a refactor of
> the python-daemon implementation. but yes, i copied some parts, for
> example the doc string, because i was to lazy to type my own version
> of it.

That's great, and the code grants you explicit permission (via the
ASF-2 license) to copy and redistribute it, in whole or in part. The
permission is conditional on you also doing these:

* give all recipients a copy of the ASF-2 license text (as in the
  ‘python-daemon’ code base);

* make clear in the work that it is derived from ‘python-daemon’;

* retain the copyright notices for the parts of the work you include.

So, you have full permission to copy the parts as you have done, but
you need to follow the ASF-2 copyright license terms when you do.

> to be honest, creating a daemon is no rocket science, the steps to
> do this are well defined, so there are not many ways to implement
> one.

Regardless, you only have permission to copy parts of a work for this
purpose by following the license terms.

> nevertheless, my intend was to publish pep3143daemon later under the
> MIT Licence, and i will also add a reference to the python-daemon
> package, with thanksgiving to the work that was done by all the
> other guys.

Changing the license terms isn't permitted, the ASF-2 license applies
to the parts of the work you've got from ‘python-daemon’. You're free
to make a derived work, as you've done, under those terms :-)

Thanks for understanding and respecting the copyright of the authors.

--
 \         “I call him Governor Bush because that's the only political |
  `\              office he's ever held legally.” —George Carlin, 2008 |