License terms for ‘python-daemon’ code

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Aug 4 06:06:13 UTC 2014

On 01-Aug-2014, stephan schultchen wrote:
> What the hack?
> the distribution i have (1.5.6), is released under the PSF-2
> license.

You're right, past versions were released with the library code
licensed under PSF-2. That license is inappropriate as described at
<URL:https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq#Contributing_Code_to_Python>
and this mistake was addressed a while ago.

> From my point of view, the code i have, was never released under a
> appropriate license.

In the absence of an appropriate license, you have no permission to
make and distribute a derived work from it.

However, the intent is certainly to allow derived works, and the ASF-2
license allows this if you comply with its terms.

The ASF-2 license had been applied in the public VCS, but no release
of ‘python-daemon’ had been made since that time. Thank you for
bringing that omission to my attention.

I have now released version 1.6.1 to make the ASF-2 apply clearly to
the library code <URL:https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-daemon/1.6.1/>.

Please feel free to base your work on that, as you have done with a
previous version; on condition you comply with the license terms as
described in my earlier message.

Thank you again!

--
 \      “I knew things were changing when my Fraternity Brothers threw |
  `\           a guy out of the house for mocking me because I'm gay.” |