Python3 implementation

stephan schultchen stephan.schultchen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:08:34 UTC 2014

> Thanks again for working on this.
>
> you´re welcome

> Your work is clearly based on the ‘python-daemon’ code, and that's
> good. But I am finding it difficult to follow:
>
> well, i tried to only stick to the pep, and not to do a refactor of the
python-daemon implementation. but yes, i copied some parts, for example the
doc string, because i was to lazy to type my own version of it.

to be honest, creating a daemon is no rocket science, the steps to do this
are well defined, so there are not many ways to implement one.

but if you compare both DaemonContext.open() methods, you will notice that
both do there work differently.

also, i did not implement the "runner" module as it is no part of the pep.

> * Can you please make a VCS history that *starts* with a known
>   revision from the official ‘python-daemon’ code, and makes
>   incremental changes from there. As it is, your code is quite
>   difficult to correlate with the current code base.
>
> I´am sorry, but i started from scratch with my implementation. i did not
work on the python-daemon as a starting point

> * You have removed copyright notices, which by the license terms you
>   are not permitted to do. This denies attribution to those whose work
>   you based yours on. Please restore the copyright notices as you
>   found them in the original code.
>
> the PSF-2 License is only allowed for projects that belong to the "Python
Software Foundation" as i understand, the python-daemon is not part of the
python standard libs. so choosing this licence was wrong in the first
place, and is i understand, is not even allowed.

nevertheless, my intend was to publish pep3143daemon later under the MIT
Licence, and i will also add a reference to the python-daemon package, with
thanksgiving to the work that was done by all the other guys.

putting this on github that early, was only done, to share to code with
you, to get some feedback.

i hope this will be okay for you.

> * You have re-structured the code into completely different locations
>   and filenames. These diverge from the upstream, and are also not
>   compliant with PEP 8. What is the reason for doing this? It makes
>   the code base difficult to compare, again.
>
> as i said, i started from scratch. but thank you for the hint with the
file names, and method names. i already lower cased "PidFile.py" and
"Daemon.py" and renamed some functions, like:

parentisinit() -> parent_is_init()

> If I could see the succession of changes starting from the official
> code base as a first revision in your repository, with explanations
> given in commit messages for each incremental change, that would make
> your work easier to examine. Thanks in advance!

i am really sorry, i do not have this.

cheers

stephan