‘setup.py’ fails to install declared ‘docutils’ dependency

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 13 19:58:46 UTC 2015

On 13-Jan-2015, Ki-wook Ahn wrote:
> Sorry for saying bad news again... :(

Thanks for reporting problems with reproducible results :-)

> I'm still facing the same problem... Is this my fault?

I see the same behaviour.

>   File "/Users/aioo/.venvs/tmp-7845382a620cd06c/build/python-daemon/setup.py",
> line 27, in <module>
>
>     import version
>
>   File "version.py", line 51, in <module>
>
>     import docutils.core
>
> ImportError: No module named docutils.core

That contradicts the Setuptools documentation, or I'm misunderstanding
it. The ‘setup()’ ‘setup_requires’ and ‘install_requires’ arguments
<URL:https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/setuptools.html#new-and-changed-setup-keywords>
together should cause ‘docutils’ to be available for impurt during
‘setup.py’ commands.

I believe this is related to an open Setuptools bug
<URL:https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/issue/209/setup_requires-and-install_requires-dont>
and have reported this failure there.

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\   Brain, but why does a forklift have to be so big if all it does |