‘setup.py’ fails to install declared ‘docutils’ dependency

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 14 03:50:12 UTC 2015

On 14-Jan-2015, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 13-Jan-2015, Ki-wook Ahn wrote:
> > ImportError: No module named docutils.core
>
> That contradicts the Setuptools documentation, or I'm misunderstanding
> it.

My mistake. The ImportError was caused by a circular dependency:
attempting to import ‘version’ *before* running ‘setup()’, and so
Setuptools has no opportunity to get ‘docutils’ installed before that
point.

> I believe this is related to an open Setuptools bug
> <URL:https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/issue/209/setup_requires-and-install_requires-dont>
> and have reported this failure there.

Incorrect; the failure was not a fault of Setuptools. I have noted
this in that bug report.

Version 2.0.3 of ‘python-daemon’ is engineered to remove that circular
import dependency.

--
 \         “Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the |
  `\                  occurrence of the improbable.” —Henry L. Mencken |