python-daemon 2.0.3 can't be required from other setup.py files

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jan 19 03:19:46 UTC 2015

On 14-Jan-2015, Brett Smith wrote:

> The new release of python-daemon installs great—thanks for that.
> However, it seems like users run into trouble when installing a package
> that depends on it.  Here's the minimal setup.py to reproduce the issue:

Thanks for making a clear test case.

> I think this is happening because python-daemon's setup.py relies on
> unicode_literals.  It looks like when setuptools resolves requirements,
> it  dynamically builds and executes setup.py files, preventing the
> __future__ import from having the desired effect.

That behaviour seems to be a clear bug in Setuptools. Can you please

 \        “It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no |
  `\   ground whatever for supposing it true.” —Bertrand Russell, _The |
_o__)                                       Value of Scepticism_, 1928 |
Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au>