[Python-modules-team] On team maintainership of DPMT (PAPT) packages

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 16:34:05 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I'd like to report here my feelings about the current way to maintain
package in our repositories (DPMT and PAPT).

As of now, policy[1] states that:

  Thus if you bring some packages into the team, you can keep your
  name in the Maintainer field. You will receive bug reports and
  handle your package as usual except that other team members may help
  from time to time and/or take over when you're too busy.

  If you put the team in the Maintainer field, the package will be
  handled completely by the team and every member is invited to work
  on any outstanding issue.

I personally feel this is not the way a team should work. If I inject
a package in the team, I think the team should be the maintainer, and
every people that do "important" work on the package can add
{him,her}self to Uploaders.

If you're in the Uploaders fields, the package will appear in personal
DDPO page too, so bugs can be noticed there (I hope this should reduce
oppositions about bugs notification).

The things I'd like to change, inspired from perl group policy [2]
(don't kill me for this ;), are the following:

* everyone that inject a package in the team repository have to set
Maintaner to the team (adding {him,her}self to Uploaders)
* everyone interested in actively taking part to team packages
mainteinership, must subscribe to alioth mailing list[3], where bug
reports and other messages about packages arrive

Maybe this way, would allow more people with "spot spare time" (I
mean, some hours in random situation, not every day) to collaborate,
attracting eventually new guys to the team.

I know I'm in the team since few months, and not being a DD hides me
from different kind of problems and point-of-views, but those are my
feelings, so please come join and discuss about this and every other
problems currently affecting the team.

Thanks a lot for your attention,
Sandro

[1] http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/python-modules-policy.html