[Python-modules-team] On team maintainership of DPMT (PAPT) packages

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 9 17:55:10 UTC 2008

Hello,

Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to report here my feelings about the current way to maintain
> package in our repositories (DPMT and PAPT).
>
> As of now, policy[1] states that:
>
>   Thus if you bring some packages into the team, you can keep your
>   name in the Maintainer field. You will receive bug reports and
>   handle your package as usual except that other team members may help
>   from time to time and/or take over when you're too busy.
>
>   If you put the team in the Maintainer field, the package will be
>   handled completely by the team and every member is invited to work
>   on any outstanding issue.
>
> I personally feel this is not the way a team should work. If I inject
> a package in the team, I think the team should be the maintainer, and
> every people that do "important" work on the package can add
> {him,her}self to Uploaders.

I agree with most of what you say, except that there's no need for the team to
be the Maintainer instead of an Uploader. Of course it would be the maintainer's
decision to keep being the Maintainer or to put the team as the Maintainer.

For example, in the pkg-gnome team, it's even discouraged to put the team as the
Maintainer, but everybody's welcome to touch any package, no matter who's listed
as the Maintainer. I'm not saying we should require somebody to be the
maintainer instead of the team, but I don't think the other way round should be
enforced... although I wouldn't care in doing so in my packages, so perhaps with
more (or more explained) arguments I'd change my opinion :)

Cheers,
Emilio