[Python-modules-team] parallel installation of pyro 3.x and 4.x (was Pyro 4 in Debian)

Alexandre Fayolle afayolle at debian.org
Thu Aug 12 09:23:02 UTC 2010

I'm forwarding the message below (with some slight editing) to the pyro-core
mailing list for feedback.

Irmen, in order to ease parallel installation of pyro3 and pyro4, would you
mind changing the package name of pyro4 from 'pyro' to 'pyro4'? I think this
would be beneficial for many users and that it would ease migration to pyro 4
(by easing the detection of which version is installed, and allowing legacy
application to run side by side with new apps). Being able to have both
versions installed is a must have from a system administration point of view
(both installed on the same machine, and both running on the same LAN).

Logilab is a pyro 3 heavy user (with the Cubiweb [1] framework), and we cannot
afford to migrate to pyro 4 right now.

Thanks for your feedback.

[1] http://www.cubicweb.org/