[Python-modules-team] [Pyro] parallel installation of pyro 3.x and 4.x (was Pyro 4 in Debian)

Irmen irmen at razorvine.net
Thu Aug 26 21:53:22 UTC 2010

On 12-8-2010 11:23, Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
> I'm forwarding the message below (with some slight editing) to the pyro-core
> mailing list for feedback.
>
> Irmen, in order to ease parallel installation of pyro3 and pyro4, would you
> mind changing the package name of pyro4 from 'pyro' to 'pyro4'? I think this
> would be beneficial for many users and that it would ease migration to pyro 4
> (by easing the detection of which version is installed, and allowing legacy
> application to run side by side with new apps). Being able to have both
> versions installed is a must have from a system administration point of view
> (both installed on the same machine, and both running on the same LAN).

Alexandre, are you referring to the debian software package name?
I'm not making those packages myself. That is taken care of by the package maintainer
which is now Carl Chenet, I believe.
I added him explicitly to the cc-list.

Carl, can you comment on this? I think Alexandre has a valid concern.

> Logilab is a pyro 3 heavy user (with the Cubiweb [1] framework), and we cannot
> afford to migrate to pyro 4 right now.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> [1] http://www.cubicweb.org/

Regards