[Python-modules-team] Bug#551926: cannot be installed together with pip or pip-python
ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Mar 23 03:49:24 UTC 2010
Just to confirm my intuition, I did a little bit of research:
* Perl pip 1.16 was release November 2009, pip 0.13 (the previous version)
was released December 2007. There's no evidence of development in the svn
repository between those times, why 0.13 jumped to 1.16 I don't know.
* Python pip 0.2 was released October 2008 and has had 11 releases since
* Perl's pip has 3 open bugs and zero closed bugs.
* Python's pip has 37 open bugs (okay, more than I'd like) and 44 closed
* Python's pip has 41 forked repositories and 160 followers on bitbucket.
* I've invested significantly in the pip name and idea. I see no evidence
of any such investment for Perl's pip. Zero.
* Maybe there is a shadow user base of Perl's pip, but if so they've
boycotted the web.
* There have been 82k cumulative downloads of Python pip via PyPI (I can't
compare to Perl's pip though, as CPAN doesn't track these numbers).
* There have been 126k cumulative downloads of virtualenv which include
Python pip (virtualenv has included pip since version 1.3.1)
So I'll stand firmly by the name: I and a lot of other people have invested
in the code, the brand, and the idea of Python's pip, and I see no evidence
of any investment in Perl's pip. It's hard to find a name for a project,
requiring that there be no overlap with any discarded or lightly maintained
project out there is too much to ask.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Python-modules-team