[Python-modules-team] Numpy 1.5 and python 3

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 15:36:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:00:06 -0500, Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:19:18 +0100, Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> wrote:
> > Propose patches, and I'll see if they can be accepted.
> >
> As you've probably noticed, I'm not exactly an expert in debian
> packaging. I did do some research[1], however, and it looks like the
> cdbs (0.4.83) currently shipped in ubuntu maverick doesn't support have
> support. Otherwise, it seems that the changes ought to be rather
> straightforward. I'll try putting up a PPA with my work.
>
> By the way, what is the recommended way to track changes/generate
> patches in /debian packaging directories?
>
> - Ben

In case you were wondering, [1] in the last message was referring to
http://wiki.debian.org/Python/Packaging which claims,

  "Right now Python 3 modules/extensions are not built by dh so you have
  to modify your debian/rules file, we'll fix that before Wheezy
  release. (In CDBS v0.4.90 to support Python 3, you'll have to add
  include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/python3-distutils.mk line to
  debian/rules and python3-foo package(s) to debian/control. dh already
  invokes dh_python3 when you add --with python3 option, but it doesn't
  build modules/extensions for Python 3 yet."

Unfortunately, it seems that either CDBS 0.4.90 nor 0.4.91 trees include
this file. Google turns up a thread on debian-python where this file was
introduced in an RFC patch[2], although there is no sign it was ever
merged. Clearly I must be missing something here.

- Ben

[2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.python/6305