[Python-modules-team] [django-announce] [ANNOUNCE] Django 1.7 released

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Thu Sep 4 03:46:46 UTC 2014

On 3 September 2014 19:01, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:

> Given the discussions we had on debian-python, are we sure that we want
> to force it through even though we still have many known problems on
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=python-django@packages.debian.org;tag=django17
> ?

I think we need to work out which of these packages we really want in
Jessie. Otherwise we will still be trying to get Django 1.7 in Jessie + 1.

I don't think we should hold Django 1.7 back for the sake of packages that
are no longer used, broken upstream with no fix in sight, or are no longer
maintained in Debian. Better to drop the packages.

Some obvious examples from your list:

django-oauth-plus( #758386) - looks like this is not going to happen any
time soon, see
http://code.larlet.fr/django-oauth-plus/issue/48/uses-insecure-and-unmaintained-python
.

django-south (#755629) - this obviously is not going to happen.

Packages I personally would like to see fixed:

djangorestframework(#755616) - this is one I would like to see fixed,
however, it is not team maintained. Suspect fixing this may require
dropping optional dependencies on python-oauth2 and django-oauth-plus.
Which would be unfortunate, however better then not supplying the package
at all. Package currently has RC bug #758387 due to dependency on
python-oauth2.

mysql-connector-python(#758844) - needs new upstream version; looks like
this is team maintained and I made the most recent upload, so I probably
should look at making a new upload.

I don't actually use these, but they look interesting, and I could use them
at a later date:

python-django-crispy-forms(#755615)
django-reversion(#755612)

This is fixed, but...

django-guardian(#755598) - I had concerns patching new migrations without
upstream support, looks like it happened anyway. We could have problems if
upstream does the migrations differently to how we have done them. Upstream
is making commits, however not responded to my ticket in anyway.
https://github.com/lukaszb/django-guardian/issues/255

A lot of the packages on the list I can't comment on because I am not
familiar with the package in question, I suspect this might be a common
problem.
--
Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>