[Python-modules-team] Fwd: Django 1.8 transition

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Thu Aug 27 22:36:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015, Luke Faraone wrote:
> I did a test rebuild of packages that depend on python-django under 1.7
> (unstable)[1] and 1.8 (experimental)[2]. I filed bugs against the
> packages that FTBFS under the current version in unstable if there was
> not one opened already.
>
> Obviously a package build is not a full test, but it at least catches
> the most obvious breakages.
>
> 12 dependant packages are already broken under 1.7; 14 more packages
> will break under 1.8.[3]
>
> For 1.7, Raphael did a MBF on all reverse-dependencies. Do we want to do
> that again, or only for the ones where there was breakage?

We should certainly file bugs for packages that fail to build with 1.8
(and user tag them).

A MBF on all reverse dependencies might be too much (but I'm fine with it
too if we prefer that), but we should at least send a mail to all the
maintainers of reverse dependencies to tell them our plans ("you can
prepare in experimental now and you can expect an upload of django 1.8 to
unstable on YYYY-MM-DD").

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer