[Python-modules-team] Django 1.9

Luke Faraone lfaraone at debian.org
Thu Nov 26 02:23:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-11-26 at 10:36 +1100, Brian May wrote:
> * Similarly, if we keep Django 1.8 in Debian, Debian maintainers will
>   become more complacent about ensuring compatibility with future
> Django
>   versions. The new version in experimental is likely to get
>   forgotten. Instead of packages fixed for 1.9, 1.10, 1.11 we will
>   suddenly jump from 1.8 to 1.11 (assuming this will be the next LTS,
>   according to the documentation it will be) in unstable and have to
> fix
>   all version increments at once. As a result we could get more
>   resistance to jumping to the latest LTS version, especially if it
> gets
>   released not long before the Debian freeze.

I need to dive a bit deeper into Django's development cycle for 1.11
LTS. If they freeze around the same time as Debian, perhaps we'd be
able to start shipping 1.11~pre (&c) in unstable as soon as they start
putting out alphas, then just continue to pull in new upstream versions
post-freeze as they release bugfixes?

I agree that it is very desirable from a security support perspective
that we ship a Django LTS.

  -- Luke