[Python-modules-team] Django 1.9

James Bennett james at b-list.org
Thu Nov 26 02:36:47 UTC 2015

So, it's worth pointing out that the release cycle for Django will
change after 1.11. The full details are in DEP 4:

https://github.com/django/deps/blob/master/final/0004-release-schedule.rst

But the gist of it is that, after Django 1.11 (LTS), we'll jump to 2.0,
and the process will be:

* 2.0 is followed by 2.1, then 2.2, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, etc.

* Every X.2 release is LTS, targeting 3 years of support. We're
exploring ideas for whether/how to extend that.

The deprecation cycle changes slightly to create a scenario where, if
you are running on (say) Django 2.2 LTS, and your codebase emits no
deprecation warnings, we guarantee it will also run on 3.2 LTS (though
3.2 may start giving deprecation warnings, which you would need to
address prior to upgrading further.

In other words: given a clean (no warnings) codebase, you can jump one
LTS forward and we guarantee your code still works. Then you can use the
time until the LTS after that to get to a clean (no warnings) codebase
again, at which point you can jump one LTS forward... and so on into the
future.