[Python-modules-team] python-xdo vs. python-libxdo

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jan 27 18:04:19 UTC 2016

hi folks--

i'm the upstream author of python-xdo, which is a minimalist C
implementation of bindings atop libxdo, a toolkit for
simulating/generating X11 events.  It's not currently widely used. (i'm
a contributor to the only reverse-dependency in debian).

I recently discovered https://github.com/rshk/python-libxdo, maintained
by Samuele Santi (cc'ed here), which is a ctypes implementation that
covers much more of libxdo and supports python3 as well as python2.

I'm proposing to package python-libxdo for debian (hopefully under the
umbrella of the python-modules-team) and to drop python-xdo entirely
(probably including upstream support).  I'll deal with the fallout for
the reverse dependencies myself.

Are there any objections to this proposal?  Anything i should be
concerned about?

          --dkg