[Python-modules-team] python-xdo vs. python-libxdo

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jan 28 14:26:07 UTC 2016

On Thu 2016-01-28 08:53:22 -0500, Samuele Santi wrote:
> +1 from me

great :)

> If this is going to be packaged in Debian, I'll take some time to give the
> project a better structure / make sure tests work properly / document all
> the implemented & tested functionality (so it's clear what can be used and
> what is still unstable; I had some trouble wrapping a few functions and I'd
> need to investigate further).

even better :)

> Do you have a list of packages depending on python-xdo, which would need to
> migrate to python-libxdo? So I can check that we support all the needed
> functionality, and it's tested.

0 dkg at alice:~$ apt-cache rdepends python-xdo
python-xdo
Reverse Depends:
  assword
0 dkg at alice:~$

fortunately, i'm a contributor to assword, and i've already spoken with
the upstream lead who is fine with the transition.

Looking at the porting work, there's only a minor difference in the API:

we go from:

  from xdo import xdo
  x = xdo()

to:

  from xdo import Xdo
  x = Xdo()

and we have to change from:

  x.type("foo")

to:

  x.enter_text_window(window, "foo")

If you'd be up for adding "type" as an alias for enter_text_window with
the arguments swapped and a default of CURRENTWINDOW for window, that
would make this transition even simpler.

(actually, i am having trouble getting access to the CURRENTWINDOW
construct in python-libxdo directly, so maybe that's another small
issue)

anyway, the point is that the reverse deps shouldn't be too bad.

Regards,

              --dkg