[Python-modules-team] on the maintenance of rope

Ghislain Vaillant ghisvail at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:02:05 UTC 2016

Dear Arnaud and potential DPMT co-maintainers,

I am currently participating in a packaging effort to update spyder [1],
a scientific IDE, to its latest upstream version. Amongst its
dependencies, spyder requires a fairly recent version of rope for both
Python 2 and 3.

However, the source package currently in Debian is missing a binary
package for Python 3 and is affected by a security vulnerability. Both
issues were raised in the BTS [2, 3], but none of them seems to have
been acknowledged or acted upon.

Could you please confirm whether the package is still actively
maintained, and if so, consider fixing the bugs mentioned above?

Otherwise, I'd be happy to contribute but it would require me to perform
a migration of the packaging repository to the DPMT git, and
translate the build system from cdbs to pybuild. That is, because it
is the only workflow I am familiar with, and also the one recommended
by the DPMT policy / wiki.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=826042
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=755911
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=777525