[Python-modules-team] on the maintenance of rope

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Mon Jul 25 13:11:28 UTC 2016

On Monday, July 25, 2016 02:02:05 PM Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> Dear Arnaud and potential DPMT co-maintainers,
>
> I am currently participating in a packaging effort to update spyder [1],
> a scientific IDE, to its latest upstream version. Amongst its
> dependencies, spyder requires a fairly recent version of rope for both
> Python 2 and 3.
>
> However, the source package currently in Debian is missing a binary
> package for Python 3 and is affected by a security vulnerability. Both
> issues were raised in the BTS [2, 3], but none of them seems to have
> been acknowledged or acted upon.
>
> Could you please confirm whether the package is still actively
> maintained, and if so, consider fixing the bugs mentioned above?
>
> Otherwise, I'd be happy to contribute but it would require me to perform
> a migration of the packaging repository to the DPMT git, and
> translate the build system from cdbs to pybuild. That is, because it
> is the only workflow I am familiar with, and also the one recommended
> by the DPMT policy / wiki.
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=826042
> [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=755911
> [3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=777525

There is already a git repository that was created when the team migration was
done, so no conversion is needed.  Particularly given the outstanding security
issue, it probably shouldn't wait long, so you might consider going ahead with
your work in the existing git repository while waiting to see what Arnaud has
to say.

Scott K