[Python-modules-team] Backporting matplotlib and its dependencies (Was: Sagemath Build-Depends backported - unfortunately build error (Was: Help needed to backport ipywidgets ... (Was: Backporting sagemath))]

Ximin Luo infinity0 at debian.org
Tue Apr 18 15:15:00 UTC 2017

Ah, I didn't realise it would be this hard. You could try backporting 1.5 instead of 2.0, that is what Sage themselves are using:

https://people.debian.org/~thansen/debian-sage-7.4-status.html (see the matplotlib row)

If that is not allowed by backports policy, I'm not sure of the best way forward. There's a few options, none of which seem nice:

- patch 1.4, to simply not omit the "FutureWarning". However, from the error message it sounds like this would continue to make Sage fail, because they are expecting the "future behaviour" that 1.4 doesn't yet do.

- patch 1.4, to perform the future behaviour, by applying a patch from 1.5. However this might break other programs that use matplotlib. :(

Andreas Tille:
> Hi,
>
> my continuous attempt to backport now also seems to require
> matplotlib (and its dependency which are not yet in Jessie).
>
> Kind regards
>
>     Andreas.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Ximin Luo <infinity0 at debian.org> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 22:01:00 +0000
> From: Ximin Luo <infinity0 at debian.org>
> To: Development issues of sagemath and related tools <debian-science-sagemath at lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Cc: debian-science at lists.debian.org, Tobias Hansen <thansen at debian.org>
> Subject: Re: [Debian-science-sagemath] Sagemath Build-Depends backported - unfortunately build error (Was: Help needed to backport ipywidgets ... (Was: Backporting sagemath))
>
> Ximin Luo:
>> Andreas Tille:
>>> [..]
>>>
>>>    https://people.debian.org/~tille/tmp/sagemath/sagemath_7.4-9~bpo8+1_amd64.build.gz
>>>

>> Now we get to the tests, there are a lot here and we may not have time to help you with all of them in detail. I can see the following are quite significant:
>>
>> - sympy errors, you probably have to backport python-sympy.
>>
>> - FutureWarning from matplotlib, you probably have to backport python-matplotlib

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git