[Python-modules-team] Backporting matplotlib and its dependencies (Was: Sagemath Build-Depends backported - unfortunately build error (Was: Help needed to backport ipywidgets ... (Was: Backporting sagemath))]

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Tue Apr 18 19:59:26 UTC 2017

Hi Ximin,

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 03:15:00PM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Ah, I didn't realise it would be this hard. You could try backporting 1.5 instead of 2.0, that is what Sage themselves are using:
>
> https://people.debian.org/~thansen/debian-sage-7.4-status.html (see the matplotlib row)
>
> If that is not allowed by backports policy, I'm not sure of the best way forward. There's a few options, none of which seem nice:

Well, Jessie backports policy is to port what is in Stretch (and not a
"random" version).

> - patch 1.4, to simply not omit the "FutureWarning". However, from the error message it sounds like this would continue to make Sage fail, because they are expecting the "future behaviour" that 1.4 doesn't yet do.
>
> - patch 1.4, to perform the future behaviour, by applying a patch from 1.5. However this might break other programs that use matplotlib. :(

I do not intend to fiddle around with version 1.4 just to get a fake
version 1.5 be it in contrast to policy or not.  In principle when I was
sending my mail I was not (yet) considering it hard and all needed
Build-Depends are just uploaded to backports new queue.  I was just
announcing the attempt to backport here as it is considered best
practice.

However, now when really trying to build matplotlib the build ends up
with

generating thumbnails... [ 98%] build/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/demo_ribbon_box.png
generating thumbnails... [ 99%] build/plot_directive/mpl_examples/api/bbox_intersect.png
generating thumbnails... [ 99%] build/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/gradient_bar.png
generating thumbnails... [ 99%] build/plot_directive/mpl_examples/mplot3d/surface3d_demo2.png
generating thumbnails... [ 99%] build/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/image_slices_viewer.png
generating thumbnails... [100%] build/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/agg_buffer_to_array_01.png

Warning, treated as error:
/build/matplotlib-2.0.0+dfsg1/doc/api/markers_api.rst:109: WARNING: toctree references unknown document u'api/matplotlib.markers.MarkerStyle.markers'

Building HTML failed.
debian/rules:21: recipe for target 'build-indep-stamp' failed
make: *** [build-indep-stamp] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
I: copying local configuration
E: Failed autobuilding of package

I can confirm that the missing file does not exist inside the source
tree:

/build/matplotlib-2.0.0+dfsg1/doc# find . -name "*MarkerStyle*"
/build/matplotlib-2.0.0+dfsg1/doc# grep -R matplotlib.markers.MarkerStyle.markers
Binary file build/doctrees/api/markers_api.doctree matches

I also have no idea why this warning is treated as error and how to
sensibly build matplotlib.

Any hints?

Kind regards

    Andreas.