[Python-modules-team] python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Adrian Bunk bunk at debian.org
Wed May 24 09:59:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:40:54AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The maintainer of the python-django backport not acting according to
> > policy is what started this discussion.
>
> Let's speak of the policy. It says this:
> > To guarantee an upgrade path from stable+backports to the next stable, the
> > package should be in testing..
>
> https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/
>
> It does not say "the package MUST be in testing", it says SHOULD and gives
> a rationale. All my python-django packages have a working upgrade path
> from stable+backports to testing.
>
> So in fact, I'm not breaking the policy. Even better, the next line says
> this:
> > Of course there are some exceptions: Security updates.
>
> I initially uploaded a version that was in testing and all the subsequent
> uploads I made were security updates (in the form of upstream point
> releases).
>
> Honestly, I really think that I'm fully in the spirit of the backport
> policy and that this rejection is unwarranted.

This part of the policy continues with:

  If your package had a security update you can upload a new backport
  even if its not yet in testing. If you have good reasons to update a
  package which is already is in backports with a newer version from
  unstable (which is intended for testing),

The "should" and "exceptions" you quote only permit to backport
a package from unstable that is not yet in testing.

> > > If someone reports that it does not work, the maintainer must fix his
> > > package.
> >
> > This cannot fix the version in a Replaces or a postinst version check
> > in the package in the next stable.
>
> Most of the time, the next stable is not yet released, so obviously we can
> fix things. And if it's already released (as for wheezy-backports
> currently), then it's up to the backport maintainer to check that the
> upgrade path works.

There are plenty of examples of packages currently in backports proving
that "it's up to the backport maintainer" is not working - like versions
more recent than in jessie in wheezy-backports, or backports that cannot
be installed because the backport maintainer built them against stretch
packages.

> Cheers,

cu
Adrian