[Python-modules-team] python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed May 24 09:40:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, 24 May 2017, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> The maintainer of the python-django backport not acting according to
> policy is what started this discussion.

Let's speak of the policy. It says this:
> To guarantee an upgrade path from stable+backports to the next stable, the
> package should be in testing..

https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/

It does not say "the package MUST be in testing", it says SHOULD and gives
a rationale. All my python-django packages have a working upgrade path
from stable+backports to testing.

So in fact, I'm not breaking the policy. Even better, the next line says
this:
> Of course there are some exceptions: Security updates.

I initially uploaded a version that was in testing and all the subsequent
uploads I made were security updates (in the form of upstream point
releases).

Honestly, I really think that I'm fully in the spirit of the backport
policy and that this rejection is unwarranted.

> > If someone reports that it does not work, the maintainer must fix his
> > package.
>
> This cannot fix the version in a Replaces or a postinst version check
> in the package in the next stable.

Most of the time, the next stable is not yet released, so obviously we can
fix things. And if it's already released (as for wheezy-backports
currently), then it's up to the backport maintainer to check that the
upgrade path works.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer