[Python-modules-team] python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Jan Ingvoldstad frettled at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:42:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Adrian Bunk <bunk at debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 01:00:41PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 May 2017, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > Imagine someone else would have done the python-django backport,
> > > and would upload 1.10 to jessie-backports today.
> > > What would you as user do?
> >
> > You are again diverting the discussion to another problem. This is
> > not my situation... in the general case, the user can't rely on
> > the version in jessie-backports to not change in backwards incompatible
> > way.
>
> This is not a diversion, this is actually the core of the problem.
>
> Should backports follow a general and predictable policy,
> or should they follow whatever suits best the personal
> usecase of the developer doing the backport?

Backports should follow a policy that makes it attractive to use for users,
and attractive to contribute to for maintainers.

A general and predictable policy is a means towards that end, to be sure.

However, "the personal usecase of the developer doing the backport" is a
strawman in this discussion.

--
Jan