[Python-modules-team] RFS: pcapy/0.11.3-1 [ITA]

Sergio Durigan Junior sergiodj at debian.org
Sat Jun 16 20:38:46 BST 2018

Control: owner -1 !
Control: tags -1 + moreinfo

On Thursday, June 07 2018, eamanu wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "pcapy"
>
> * Package name    : pcapy
> Version         : 0.11.3-1
> Upstream Author : Core Security <oss at coresecurity.com>
> * URL             : https://github.com/CoreSecurity/pcapy
> * License         : Apache Software License
> Section         : python
>
> It builds those binary packages:
>
> python-pcapy - Python interface to the libpcap packet capture library
>
> To access further information about this package, please visit the
> following URL:
>
> https://mentors.debian.net/package/pcapy
>

> Alternatively, one can download the package with dget using this command:
>
> dget -x
> https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/pcapy/pcapy_0.11.3-1.dsc
>
> More information about hello can be obtained from https://www.example.com.
>
> Changes since the last upload:
>
> [ Jakub Wilk ]
> * Use canonical URIs for Vcs-* fields.
>
> [ Ondřej Nový ]
> * Fixed VCS URL (https)
> * d/control: Set Vcs-* to salsa.debian.org
> * d/changelog: Remove trailing whitespaces
> * Remove debian/pycompat, it's not used by any modern Python helper
>
> [ Emmanuel Arias ]
> * new upstream version
> * update d/watch to download correctly the last upstream version
> * update d/control to add Maintainer the DPMT
> * update d/control to add me to Uploaders field (Closes: #895787)
> * update debhelper on d/contorl from 5.0.37.2 to 11
> * update Standards-Version from 3.9.2 to 4.1.4 on d/control
> * add Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-python on d/control
> * update d/compat from 5 to 11
> * add to copyright file the debian files copyright

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the package, and for your interest in adopting it!  The first
question I have is about the VCS.  I tried finding your commits on the
official Salsa repo, but wasn't able to.  Are you using any other
repository for that?  It's much easier to review the changes when
there's a repository, and I strongly suggest you use the official one
for the packaging.

As for the review, here's what I'd like you to address:

1) d/copyright should follow DEP-5.  Take a look at:

  https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

and you'll be able to find instructions on the format of the file.  It
shouldn't be too hard for you to convert the existing file.

2) The package doesn't need CDBS anymore, so you can safely remove it
from the Build-Depends line.

3) The "Homepage" field can have a better URL:

  https://www.coresecurity.com/corelabs-research/open-source-tools/pcapy

4) You should consider packaging a Python 3 package, as well as the
Python 2 you're already packaging (in which case you could probably
split the documentation part into its own package).  If Python 3 is not
supported, you should contact upstream and probably file a bug against
it.

5) Any reason why the package has "Suggests: doc-base"?

6) It's a good habit to export the PYBUILD_NAME variable (on d/rules):

  export PYBUILD_NAME=pcapy

This variable tells pybuild what's the name of your project.

7) It's a good idea to use (on d/rules):

  export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS = hardening=+all

since your package is building a shlib.

8) The package is installing the LICENSE file by default, but this is
not needed since we have the d/copyright file.  Therefore, it'd be good
if you could remove this file from the package.  You can do that by
e.g. overriding dh_auto_install and rm'ing the file there.

I think that's basically everything I've spotted.  Please let me know if
you need any help.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36