[Python-modules-team] python-xlib_0.26-1_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Sat Mar 21 19:11:01 GMT 2020

> > > Because it’s simpler and better as it guarantees the tarballs are bit
> > > to bit identical, which pristine-tar so often fails to do. There was
> > > no pristine-tar or pristine-lfs information for earlier uploads.
>
> > but our team policy requires to use pristine-tar:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/blob/master/policy.rst
> >
> > please adjust, so that we can all use the same tools and procedures.
>
> I suggest we rather change the policy since at the moment this point
> lacks any rationale and isn’t providing any benefit since the
> pristine-tar data are only useful for minor updates of the package
> (e.g. when the upstream source hasn’t changed) and pristine-tar is
> known to be a huge hack and fail to provide correct tarballs,
> especially when xz is used.

if you want to start the conversation of migrating away from
pristine-tar, submit a proposal, get consensus and drive the migration
to a different solution, please do so at any time.

but until the time when the team decides that pristine-tar (which has
been working fine for our 1400+ packages so far) is to be replaced by
a different product, i dont think it's appropriate to unilaterally
decide to use a different solution. Team members are required, when
joining, to accept the policy. and team membership is about
consistency and easy of work.

i was not able to update python-xlib because you decided to use a
different process than the rest of us. this is not team work.

Regards,
--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/