[Qa-debsources] patch/copyright tracker status

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sun Jan 3 15:37:03 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 02:35:24PM +0200, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
> > I don't get why we need to parse d/copyright for every file. We are
> > talking about SPDX generation for a whole package, right? If so, it
> > seems to me possible to parse d/copyright only once, and consult the DB
> > to get the file listing as well as the checksums of each file. What am I
> > missing here?
>
> we need the liecense for each file as well and since we don't have the
> db we need to do the same process the plugin does to retrieve the license.

Sorry, I still don't get it. The use case I've in mind is SPDX
generation (I'll mention other use cases later). For that, AFAICT< we
need to parse the d/copyright file *once*, and then iterate over all
packages files and query the parsed d/copyright for each of them asking
for the file license. Right? I really don't see why we would need to
*parse* d/copyright for each file. Can you explain? (Even with pointers
to actual code, if that would help.)

I can think of other use cases where we do have to parse d/copyright for
each file. For instance, if we want to show the license of a file in the
infobox when that file is shown, we have to do that. And it will be that
way until we add the d/copyright license information to the DB. But it's
not a big deal as it would still be one parse for each page, not N
parses.

What other use cases are supported right now?

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .