[Qa-debsources] [GSoc] Technology Discussion

Orestis Ioannou orestis at oioannou.com
Sun May 22 22:39:16 UTC 2016

Heya

On 05/22/2016 11:28 PM, Matthieu Caneill wrote:

>> This of course requires us to make an initial choice on responsive
>> frameworks.
>> Refer to my research in the last email, I propose that I initially start
>> with
>> flow as opposed to bootstrap. Do provide input into this please :)
>
> What's flow? You never mentioned it. The only framework that seemed
> to make a difference was Bootstrap.

Don't know this either

>> I will not be able to work on the 24th of May as my final Uni commitment,
>> the
>> final year project expo, is on, and I've to show face. Thanks for your
>> patience
>> thus far, I appreciate it.
>
> Ok. Would you still be available in the morning for the meeting? If
> not I propose wednesday, same time.

Am available on Wednesday as well.

>> I will also need to work on the research for the SPA frameworks. I haven't
>> got
>> as thorough an understanding on different data models as I would like. In
>> frameworks like these, you tend to see very specific ways of looking at the
>> way
>> data moves around the application.
>>
>> ### Discussion of Single Page App
>>
>>> Yes: the fact a library is packaged or not in Debian is also an
>> important point to consider.
>>
>> This is a good point and something I wasn't thinking about until I read that
>> email. From what I see react does NOT have a debian package. The popular
>> SPA frameworks in jessie are: [AngularJS](https://angularjs.org/) and
>> [Backbone.js](http://backbonejs.org/).
>>
>> I will lean towards something that just minimizes update and event logic.
>> That's very slow development wise and is one of the big issues these
>> frameworks
>> set out to solve.
>>
>> I will compare and contrast these libraries with regards to development on
>> debsources this week as part of my work plan. I may blog it -- as well
>> as being included in my email to the GSoc Debian Coordinators.
>
> Ok. Let me add a constraint here. Using a library shouldn't make
> people without javascript unable to see the content. So the content
> must be present somehow without javascript, and the links must fall
> back to regular links when the framework can't ajax the data.

Just dropping an idea: what about using a noscript tag to assure
compatibility?

> If that is not possible, we will discuss how we can have a second way
> to browse debsources, be it a mobile version or app. But the html-only
> way will keep working.
>
> FWIW, it is the same with libraries such as Bootstrap. While its
> javascript can be used, it must not prevent jsless users to navigate
> the site. Same for the css, but that should be easier. Try to navigate
> the pages you build with a text-based browser such as lynx, to be
> sure they are still working well without all the css/js.
>
>> ### Regarding the Trello board
>>
>> Later this evening I will attend to updating the Trello board to make it up
>> date with the information in the email. orestis gave me some tips but more
>> would be appreciated!

[...]

> We'd like to see your code often, if not everyday. As we went for
> Github, I encourage you to push your commits to branches that we can
> review even before you make PRs.

And don't hesitate to ping us to have a look at your code or to discuss
any issues that may arise. It's best to avoid being blocked by anything
for too long ;)

> Divide your contributions into small commits that we can easily test,
> understand, merge and deploy. We'd like to regularly push your work to
> sources.debian.net, for at least two reasons: keep a functioning
> master branch that deploys, and show your work to Debian/GSoC/other
> people, who might as well give feedback.
>
> Keep us in touch of what you do on irc, which is also suitable for
> quick questions. But keep using emails for longer discussions that we
> might want to refer to later. This one was great.
>
> Cheers,
> and good luck for the first weeek! Happy to work with you towards
> billions of lines of code viewable from hundreds of million mobile
> devices :)

Enjoy your first coding week :)
Cheers,

Orestis