[Qa-jenkins-dev] Simon Richter: Why sysvinit?

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sat Mar 5 11:43:00 UTC 2016

Hi Simon (bcc:ed),

On Donnerstag, 3. März 2016, Planet Debian wrote:

thanks for your nice, interesting and (IMO) rather objective blogpost about
sysv and systemd! Well done.

> That said, I'm looking at becoming the new maintainer of the sysvinit
> package so we can continue to ship it and give our users a choice, but I'd
> definitely need help, as I only have a few systems left that won't run
> properly with systemd because of its nasty habit to keep lots of code in
> memory where sysvinit would unload it after use (by letting the shell
> process end), and these don't make good test systems.
>
> The overall plan is to set up a CI system that
>
>   * tests sysvinit -> systemd transition
>   * tests systemd -> sysvinit transition
>   * tests debootstrap with systemd
>   * tests debootstrap with sysvinit
>   * tests whether service start works for a list of services, so we can
> catch regressions * scans packages that have systemd unit files for init
> scripts, and vice versa

I'd be very glad to support you with setting up these tests on
jenkins.debian.net, where we already test similar things and which has
ressources to do a lot more tests.

git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/qa/jenkins.debian.net.git
cd jenkins.debian.net.git
ls job-cfg/	# chroot-installation.yaml might be useful…
ls bin	# chroot-installation.sh might be useful…
less README

should hopefully get you started a bit. Or just reply to this mail to the qa-
jenkins-dev lists or join #debian-qa on OFTC and ask questions there.

What virtualisation do you think you'll need for your tests? QEMU/kvms? or
will chroots be enough?

cheers,
	Holger