[Qa-jenkins-dev] Simon Richter: Why sysvinit?

Simon Richter sjr at debian.org
Sun Mar 6 11:55:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 05.03.2016 12:43, Holger Levsen wrote:

>> The overall plan is to set up a CI system that

>>   * tests sysvinit -> systemd transition
>>   * tests systemd -> sysvinit transition
>>   * tests debootstrap with systemd
>>   * tests debootstrap with sysvinit
>>   * tests whether service start works for a list of services, so we can
>> catch regressions * scans packages that have systemd unit files for init
>> scripts, and vice versa

> I'd be very glad to support you with setting up these tests on
> jenkins.debian.net, where we already test similar things and which has
> ressources to do a lot more tests.

Cool, thanks!

> What virtualisation do you think you'll need for your tests? QEMU/kvms? or
> will chroots be enough?

I think both VMs and chroots will be needed.

Most of the tests will run fine in a chroot (especially debootstrap
tests), but it'd feel incomplete if we didn't at least try to actually
boot the system and see whether it comes up.

Interesting challenges:

 - Can we boot a VM from file system images that are artifacts from
another build?

 - How to verify that the system in the VM booted correctly

Current idea: build a custom service that runs pstree, magically sends
it to the build log, and then compare the output against the expected value.

 - Can we somehow generate an APT repository from an Alioth project?

When someone commits to the sysvinit repo, I'd like to build the
packages (probably easy), then create something that debootstrap can
access, ideally as an artifact (tar archive of repo?)

I think step one should be simple transition tests:

1. install a system with debootstrap
2. transition to sysvinit
3. transition back to systemd

These should probably be three different projects, so we can reuse the
installed system at any point as an artifact, but that's something
someone more experienced with Jenkins might know better.

   Simon