[sane-devel] HP scanner problems

Peter Kirchgessner peter@kirchgessner.net
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 07:57:23 +0200

Hi Bob,

Bob Sully wrote:

> Update on scanner problems:
>
> (1) HP 6300C on SCSI machine (SANE 1.0.5/Xsane 0.79):  Got Xsane to
> compile (thanks Peter - it was due to gtk.h being in a non-standard
> directory).  It scans using Xsane, but only in "Normal" mode.  The XPA
> setting (transparency adapter) doesn't work - it times out and hangs up.

currently the XPA scans on 63xx do not work. I am working on this.

> (2) HP 6200 on USB machine at work (SANE 1.0.4/Xsane 0.78):  xscanimage
> and xsane both come up with "no devices detected".  Scanimage does
> initiate a scan, dumping data to stdout (the screen in this case):

Try to check how the scanner device is opened by the hp-backend. Do that
by

export SANE_DEBUG_HP=5

and run xscanimage. You will see debug printouts. You should see
something like that:

[hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.XX starts reading config file
[hp] hp_read_config: processing line <scsi HP>
[hp] hp_read_config: processing line </dev/scanner>
[hp] hp_read_config: attach scsi HP
[hp] hp_read_config: processing line </dev/usbscanner0>
[hp] hp_read_config: attach /dev/scanner
[hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/scanner, connect-scsi, scsi-request=1
[hp] sanei_hp_device_new: /dev/scanner
[hp] scsi_new: open failed (Invalid argument)
[hp] /dev/scanner: Can't open scsi device
[hp] hp_read_config: processing line <option connect-device>
[hp] hp_read_config: attach /dev/usbscanner0
[hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/usbscanner0, connect-device,
scsi-request=0
[hp] sanei_hp_device_new: /dev/usbscanner0

It is important that the line

[hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/usbscanner0, connect-device,
scsi-request=0

shows connect-device instead of connect-scsi.

This is a result of a hp.conf with the lines

scsi HP
/dev/scanner
/dev/usbscanner0
  option connect-device

If this does not help please post the debug lines from

[hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.XX starts reading config file

up to the first error message.

--Peter