[sane-devel] Microtek V6USL over USB - hangs the box

Jed S. Baer thag@frii.com
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:48:46 -0600

Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Dienstag,  7. August 2001 19:37 schrieb Jed S. Baer:
> > Greetings folks.
> >
> > Regretably, there isn't much to go on here, unless sharing an IRQ with
> > my SB-Live is what's causing the lockup.
> >
> > System is an ABIT KA7 mobo, running RH7.1, custom kernel.
>
> Kernel version ?

2.4.2-2

FWIW, the last "History" line in microtec.c:
  *      20010210 Version 0.3.0

> Do not load the scanner module, _only_ microtek for that scanner.
> Do not add a single device. This happens automatically.
>
> Send the content of /proc/scsci/scsi after loading microtek
>
>         Regards
>                 Oliver Neukum

[root@priapas /root]# modprobe usb-uhci
[root@priapas /root]# modprobe sg
[root@priapas /root]# modprobe microtek
[root@priapas /root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor:          Model: Scanner V6USL    Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[root@priapas /root]# sane-find-scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus.  It will even find scanners that are not supported
# at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
# parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.

[root@priapas /root]# uname -a
Linux priapas 2.4.2-2 #3 Mon Aug 6 12:26:59 MDT 2001 i686 unknown

OK, that looks fine. So, I invoked scanimage -dev=microtek2:/dev/sga ...

Cool! I've never had a kernel panic before. Lots of stuff going by on
the console, including "Aiiee! Killing the interrupt handler". A small
bit more scan head activity this time, maybe a whole second. So now I
have two questions.

1) Is there some place where the kernel tries to save the panic output?
Or -- short of setting up a serial console and logging it on another
box, how can I capture it? (Nothing in /var/log/messages.)

2) If there isn't any easy way to capture it, is there a subset of the
last 24 lines which I don't need to write down?

I will try to find a way to move either the SoundBlaster or the USB to
another IRQ.

Thanks,
jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."