[sane-devel] Microtek V6USL over USB - hangs the box

Oliver Neukum Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:17:40 +0200

> > > System is an ABIT KA7 mobo, running RH7.1, custom kernel.
> >
> > Kernel version ?
>
> 2.4.2-2

Very old. You need to do 'export SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE=32768' with a kernel that
old.

> FWIW, the last "History" line in microtec.c:
>   *      20010210 Version 0.3.0
>
> > Do not load the scanner module, _only_ microtek for that scanner.
> > Do not add a single device. This happens automatically.
> >
> > Send the content of /proc/scsci/scsi after loading microtek
> >
> >         Regards
> >                 Oliver Neukum
>
> [root@priapas /root]# modprobe usb-uhci
> [root@priapas /root]# modprobe sg
> [root@priapas /root]# modprobe microtek
> [root@priapas /root]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor:          Model: Scanner V6USL    Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> [root@priapas /root]# sane-find-scanner
> # Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
> # to a SCSI bus.  It will even find scanners that are not supported
> # at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
> # parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.

Can you confirm that sane-find-scanner does _not_ find the scanner ?

> [root@priapas /root]# uname -a
> Linux priapas 2.4.2-2 #3 Mon Aug 6 12:26:59 MDT 2001 i686 unknown
>
> OK, that looks fine. So, I invoked scanimage -dev=microtek2:/dev/sga ...
>
> Cool! I've never had a kernel panic before. Lots of stuff going by on
> the console, including "Aiiee! Killing the interrupt handler". A small
> bit more scan head activity this time, maybe a whole second. So now I
> have two questions.
>
> 1) Is there some place where the kernel tries to save the panic output?
> Or -- short of setting up a serial console and logging it on another
> box, how can I capture it? (Nothing in /var/log/messages.)

AFAIK a kernel panic goes to the console only.

> 2) If there isn't any easy way to capture it, is there a subset of the
> last 24 lines which I don't need to write down?
>
> I will try to find a way to move either the SoundBlaster or the USB to
> another IRQ.

Could you try the other UHCI driver ?

	Regards
		Oliver Neukum