[sane-devel] Non root users

Jochen Eisinger jochen.eisinger@gmx.de
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:43:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

[G. L. `Griz' Inabnit]

> On Friday 10 August 2001 08:25, Jochen Eisinger wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> [snip]
>
> [/snip]
> > >
> > > /etc/inetd.conf line;
> > > 	sane            stream  tcp     nowait  saned.saned     /usr/sbin/saned
> > > saned
> >
> > you have to run saned as root (although not recommende in the man-page).
> > just replace saned.saned by root.root.
> >
> [snip]
>
> [/snip]
> > > 2.	How can I reconfigure the machine so that regular users have access to
> > > the scanner, software, use w/o su'ing to root?
> >
> > run saned as root, use passwords to protect the service (see man saned,
> > man sane-net & man scanimage)
> >
> > > 3.	Are there any log files for sane/xsane? I do not find anything in /var
> > > or anywhere else to speak of.
> >
> > if you run saned from the command line with option -d128 you'll get debug
> > output.
> >
> [snip]
> [/snip]
>
> 	And magic occured!
>
> 	Richard, this is for you.
>
> 	Edit the /etc/inetd.conf and make the required changes.
> 	Edit the /etc/sane.d/net.conf and uncomment   localhost
> 	As root,   killall -HUP inetd
> 	As a user, run xsane
>
> 	BE AWARE THIS IS "NOT" SETUP WITH SECURITY IN MIND!! but it works,
> wonderfully! :--)
To add at least a little security, make use of user-authentication! saned
supports a MD5 based challenge/response protocol. See man saned & man
scanimage. XSane also supports that.

regards
- -- jochen

- --
Everybody has something to conceal.
		-- Humphrey Bogart

  [This is a signature virus, please copy me into your signature file!]

GnuGP public key for jochen.eisinger@gmx.de:
    http://home.nexgo.de/jochen.eisinger/pubkey.asc