[sane-devel] sane 1.0.5 segmentation fault

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:06:12 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:27:09PM -0600, Brian C wrote:
> Hi.. I've recently tried upgrading to the 1.0.5 version of sane, but am
> unable to run anything.  I'm running Mandrake 8.0 with a compiled 2.4.7
> kernel (using as near to the mandrake settings as possible).  Everything
> seems to be installed correctly, but I'm not sure about libraries.. how do I
> tell?  I had 1.0.4 installed and working.. until sometime earlier this week
> when I went to scan something in, it crashed.  So I decided to upgrade.

It worked until that crash and now it gets segfaults? Does this happen
with other software, too?

> My scanner is a Microtek E6 (microtek backend) and is recognized by
> 'scanimage -L'.  I am running it through an Adaptec 2940uw dual card.  It's
> the only device on the second adapter.  I've installed the latest versions of
> Gimp (1.2.2), sane-backends, sane-frontends(both 1.0.5), and xsane(0.79) from
> the mandrake cooker site.

scanimage -V shows that you are running version 1.0.5?

> Whenever I try to use either xscanimage, xsane,  or even 'scanimage -d
> microtek:/dev/scanner > test.img', I get a segmentation fault.

Maybe you get more information with something like:
SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK=255 scanimage -d microtek:/dev/scanner -T

I don't know the backend, however.

> Below is what
> comes from a 'dbg xsane' run.

> dbg output:
> Starting program: /usr/bin/xsane
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging
> symbols found)...

[...]

> 0x405acbfb in _init () from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-microtek.so.1

At least it looks like that it crashes in the library. To get more
information, try to compile staticaly and without removing debugging
symbols (./configure --disable-shared --enable-warnings should do it,
don't forget to do a make distclean before). Now gdb should print the
corresponding functions.