[sane-devel] update

redhat@emphanet.com redhat@emphanet.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:33:57 -800

Ok..

Update on this:

Here is what I have noticed.  The following chart shows what width(x) per dpi
resolution (max), or else scanner aborts or sane receives EOF.

DPI         Width Max (x)
--------------------------------
300         2.80
295         2.85
290         2.89
285         2.95

and so on...  Sounds to me like there's a limit of data to be fed in some
operation here.  It seems to be a direct formula (+/- a few).  Since the Scanner
collects most of its data in the X coordinate (per line) as apposed to data in
the Y coordinate, the limitations seem to be on how much data per line can be
collected.  It sucks that this setup can't collect 300 dpi at a full page width
of 8.50".  In order to stay within its limits, I have to drop the dpi to 105 to
get a full page width of 8.50".  Is this a data governing problem?  buffer?
what could this be?  Again.. help..  I'm going to bed now.. night.

Jordan

Previously what I said:

I have a Umax Astra 610S.. Seems I've had all kinds of troubles.. but here's
what I just found.

In the Geometry window from Xsane, I can set the Y variation to anything and it
will scan at 300 dpi.. but as far as the X variation, it seems I can only go
2.80 units (according to the Xsane Geometry slider bars), otherwise it won't
finish the scan.

Note:  I think 2.8 units is 2.8 inches..  not sure..  but.. anything wider than
that will cause the scanner to get an EOF.

Any thoughts?  This is more and more sounding like a library.. but I could be
wrong.  I don't think this is a mechanical problem as I can scan on any part of
the page as long as it is 2.80 units wide or less (x)..  Any measurement is fine
with height (y).

This is a curve in my progress.

Help!  *

Jordan Peterson