[sane-devel] how to make saned start with redhat 7.1's init?

Ka Chun, Cheng kccheng at glink.net.hk
Sun Oct 28 05:21:08 GMT 2001

hi there,
  I'm a linux newbie, and managed to make sane 1.0.5 work with my machine.

if I start saned -d
and start win xsane in my windoze, I can scan correctly, but saned exit after I close the xsane. so far so good.

now I want to make it start up everytime when I boot, and last forever.

I'm using redhat linux 7.1, seems the FAQ only cover 7.0. the interface looks different

I did put this line to my /etc/services
sane 6566/tcp # SANE network scanner daemon

I did create the user saned
I put a sane start up code in

/etc/init.d/sane
which contain only 1 line.
/usr/local/sbin/saned

sane show up in kde's SysInitV editor, but starting the service doesn't work.