[sane-devel] Epson GT5000 parallel port scanner - yet again

Tony Lindop tony.lindop@ntlworld.com
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:38:50 +0100

Hi,

Apologies for raising this subject yet again, but earlier messages in
this forum or other Linux news groups are lacking in detail or the
quoted links are now dead.

The often quoted URL defining the Epson GT5000 set up was:
http://www.vernetzt.at/~bucher/Epson/Epson.html
This site no longer exists! Does anyone have a backup copy of this page?

I am using Caldera Open Linux 2.4 eDesktop, based on Kernel 2.2.14, with
an Authentic AMD PC using the AMD K6/2. This system detects the Epson
supplied ISA parallel port card at /dev/lp1 during the Linux Kernel boot
process, but shows no sign of detecting the Epson scanner, which is
always powered up before booting Linux. An Epson printer at /dev/lp0 is
always detected during Kernel boot. Swapping parallel port connections
makes no difference. The scanner is not detected either way.

SANE 1.0.1 then cannot find any scanner when "find-scanner" or
"scanimage" is run.

I am fairly new to Linux, so how do I force the Kernel to detect the
scanner or set up SANE to detect the scanner on the parallel port?

Thanks

Tony
--
Tony Lindop