[sane-devel] Acer 640BU :-(

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:17:15 +0200

Hi,

> This is apparently a developers mailing list. Ummm...I'm I'm in the
> wrong place, could you kindly point wher I should look?

There's only this one list, so that's the place to ask questions.

> As you can see, I have a device listed as "Vendor=04a5 ProdID=207e Rev=
> 1.00". I checked and this is indeed the code for my scanner. The
> "Product= FlatbedScanner 13" part is also a clue :-)

That's only one part of the story. You also need to load the 'scanner'
module. Since it won't recognize your scanner by default, you have to supply
the vendor and product ID:

modprobe scanner vendor=0x04a5 product=0x207e

You can also set those options in /etc/modules.conf, e.g.
"options scanner vendor=0x04a5 product=0x207e"
so you dont't have to load scanner manually.

Look in /var/log/messages for the output, it should recognize your scanner.

> So far so good. I also checked my /dev directory and found all sorts of
> scanner files (though I don't know exactly what these are used for).
> Specifically, I found :
>
> /dev/usb/scanner0
> /dev/usb/scanner15

That's o.k.

> I did *NOT* find any /dev/usbscanner or /dev/scanner files. Are these
> necessary? How do I make them?

No you don't need to, and you shouldn't.

> Now I checked my /etc/sane.d directory and found a whole bunch of */conf
> files. I assume the one I have to modify is snapscan.conf, correct?

Yes.

> So I modify that file to have only one line:
> usb /dev/usb/scanner0

Just /dev/usb/scanner0 is enough. Delete the 'usb' at the beginning (which is
the cause why sane can't find your scanner).

You may have to upload a firmware file to the scanner before you can use it
in sane. Look at http://snapscan.sourceforge.net for details.

Regards,

Oliver