[sane-devel] HP 6200C not found

Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:30:19 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 05:21:01PM -0400, Matt Harrell wrote:
> I just got an HP 6200C scanner (SCSI and USB) from work for free.  I'm
> hoping to use it on my LInux box, and not have to resort to installing
> it on my Windows 98 PC.  I'm using the USB connection (I don't have a
> SCSI controller in either PC anymore).  I am running Red Hat 7.1 with
> the sane package that is distributed with it (1.0.3-10).  I don't plan
> on going to the trouble of compiling source code, etc.  If it comes to
> that, I'll use it via Windows.

RedHat 7.1 is the current version and really comes with this ancient
version of sane? When was it released? However, from the
sane-backends.html of 1.0.3 it looks like you scanner is supported by
this version of SANE. Peter Kirchgessner will probably correct me, if
I'm wrong :-)

> I'm not sure my problem is even with SANE, though.  My Linux box doesn't
> seem to be detecting it at all.  I expected that after I connected it
> and turned the system on, Linux would detect it at boot up using Kudzu,
> or the USB system (which is running--I see it, and it hesitates longer
> when it searched for USB devices than it used to).  When I try to get
> the device list using "scanimage", it returns nothing.  What's up?

The interesting question is: is it detected? Look at /var/log/messages
(or whatever name is used with RedHat) and do a "cat
/proc/bus/usb/devices". Is the "scanner" module loaded (lsmod). If it
isn't, do a "modprobe scanner". If it is loaded but doesn't detect
your scanner it may be necessary to tell it the vendor and device ids
of your scanner:

rmmod scanner
modprobe scanner vendor=0x03f0 product=0x0201

Check the vendor and device ids, I don't have a HP scanner and only
took them from kernel source.

Concerning SANE, it might be necessary to setup hp.conf (probably in
/usr/etc/sane.d/) with something like

/dev/usb/scanner0
option connect-device

Insert the scanner device your distribution uses instead of
/dev/usb/scanner0.