[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 5300C

Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:48:50 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:59:12PM -0500, Bob Bomar wrote:
> I have a FBSD 4.3 box with a HP 5300C USB scanner, I am using xsane .75
> with GIMP 1.2.1.  I was looking at the documentation and saw that the
> 5300C is supported and not supported.

It's not supported by the HP backend. I don't know if it works with
the Avision backend but at least it is not mentioned on the list of
supported scanners on mostang.com. And the avision website states that
USB scanners are not supported.

> When I look at dmesg it says that the scanner is found,

That only means that the kernel driver USB driver has detected the
scanner. If there is no SANE backend for this device, it won't work.

> but when I run xsane, it comes up with no device
> found.  What should I do.

If there is really no backend (check the mailing list archives), try
to write a backend on your own :-) Sorry, but that's the way to get
support for unsupported scanners.